Monday, September 16, 2013

A Tough Loss but Exciting News

So this past week went by relatively fast.  That's the way it usually goes in the fall especially with having games midweek, it really speeds things up.  Last Wednesday we beat Mary Washington at home 1-0.  They had beat us 3-0 last year, so it was great that we got them back this year especially at home.  Then all the anticipation was leading up to Saturday's game.  We played Messiah at home who is the defending National Champions and currently undefeated and ranked #1 so far this year.  They scored a goal in the first half and one early in the second half, but we kept fighting back.  We ended up scoring with about 20 minutes left in the game to put it to 2-1, and had the momentum for the last part of the game, but just couldn't put another one in.  I have to say it was a very fun game to play, even though it was a tough loss.  We had one of the larger crowds I've seen at the field, with alot of people cheering and really into the game especially towards the end when it was a close game.  I didn't get to start the game, but subbed in at the left mid position and actually got some more time than the starter did as I played most of the second half.  I figure as long as I'm getting the time on the field, I have nothing to complain about.  I just now have to keep working hard to get the spot back.

Then after the game it was tough to talk to everyone.  People kept saying congrats and great game and you guys did really well, but I just kept thinking that we lost, and that was all that matters.  Maybe I'm just really hard on myself and have big expectations for this team, but I couldn't really be that happy when at the end of the day we lost.  Yeah we might have played one of the best teams really tough, but we still couldn't get the W.  At least there is room for improvement and we still have some time.

Now tomorrow (Tuesday) we turn right around and play St. Mary's at home at 4pm.  They just lost to Greensboro 5-0 and we beat Greensboro 2-0 so coach is expecting a big win for us.  He said he wants the game to be over at half, so the starters are definitely going to have to come out strong.  Hopefully I'll be back in there tomorrow.  Well that's enough about soccer.

This weekend was very enjoyable after the game was finished.  Mom and Dad came up for the game, and they offered to take me and my roommates out to eat an early dinner after the game.  We went to Menomale Pizza right down the street in Brookland.  I was a little iffy on the location just because Brookland isn't the nicest of neighborhoods but because the metro was down, we (all seven of us including 6 foot 6 Carl) piled into Dad's Audi sedan and drove down the street to the restaurant.  It was very enjoyable as we got to sit outside on a cool but sunny day eating pizza and socializing.  That was the first time my parents met my roommates and vice versa and I think everyone had a good time while avoiding the Pryz food at the same time.  I'm very glad we were all able to go out for a good meal.  Mom and Dad also brought up a TV for my dorm room that I had been wanting to get.  It's a 24 inch flatscreen and works really well for my room.  I have it hooked up to my computer so currently I am writing from my bed while reading this on my 24 inch TV.  Pretty fancy stuff!  It's very cool because I can hook up my nice computer speakers to the TV as well and watch HD movies and TV with great sound as well.  I really like the new setup and am thankful my parents got it for me.  Sunday I watched a lot of football and did some homework.  I ended up going out to dinner for some delicious sushi as well at Momiji Sushi in Chinatown with Taylor.  It was a good time and then came back in time to make it to the 9pm Mass.  Overall it was a great weekend, setting up for a good week this week.

Today (Monday) was exciting in the fact that I got a job!  The Office of Admissions is starting a student-run blog to talk about everyday life as a student here, and I sent in my resume and a sample from "A Day in the Life of" and found out today I am one of four students to get the job!  Basically each one of us writes one post a week.  Every other week we are given a topic to write about and then the other posts are free response where we can talk about anything we want.  Some of the topics include talking about your college decision or your initial experience at the school or your favorite professor etc.  I figured I could offer a different perspective on the school being an athlete a member of the Honors program and an Engineering major.  It's funny, but I never thought this blog would be of any use, especially in getting a job, but it showed I had some experience in blogging, and my boss really liked the sample I sent in.  I'm really excited about getting a little extra money on the side doing something that I already do periodically and on my own schedule.

Later this week I have my first Physics II exam on Thursday and then a MatLab (computer programming) exam on Friday.  Luckily coach is giving us Wednesday off after our game on Tuesday so that will be good to catch up on some homework and studying.  Other than that classes are going well.  I aced my first Statistics quiz, so that is a good start to the semester as well.  The weather is also starting to cool down a bit here as I wore a light jacket to classes today.  I'm not ready for the cold yet, but I guess I don't have much say in that.  So all around things are going really well, and I'm definitely staying busy.  I will post the link to the new CUA blog once it is up and running as well.  Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for reading this extensive post!

-TZ

P.S. shoutout to Pops for his birthday which was on Sunday, I hope it was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment